Church buildings

The first known record of a church at Tidenham is in dubious charters of c.700 and c. 880 in which 'Istrat Hafren', which has been identified with this church, was mentioned. According to the first of these charters, Morgan ap Athrwys, King of Glywyssing, granted the church to the bishopric of Llandaff.

In c. 1070 the church of Tidenham with tithes and 1/2 hide of land was granted by William FitzOsbern to Lire Abbey in France, but Henry V took full possession of the rectory under the Act of 1414 and granted it to his new foundation, the Priory of Sheen in Richmond, which retained it until the dissolution.

St Mary and St Petertid tower

The Parish church of Tidenham is dedicated to St Mary and St Peter and comprises nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch and west tower. Of the church that stood on the site in the 11th Century only the font survives. This lead font is one of six Glouestershire fonts from the same blocks, another of them being made for the neighbouring church of Lancaut which now stands in Gloucester Catheral.

The oldest part of the main fabric of the building is the base of the tower which probably dates from the early 13th Century, whilst the top stage of the tower dates from the 15th or early 16th Century. The church tower housed three bells in 1703 but there was a peal of six bells by 1779.....Read more

St Luke's Church, Tutshill

From 1849 services were also held in Tutshill School for the growing population of Tutshill and Woodcroft. A chapel, dedicated to St Luke, was built in 1853 to minister to this new congregation and extended only a few fontyears later in 1872 with a North aisle. The Gothic stone building was designed by the renowned architect Henry Woodyer and the pulpit and font of his design remain to this day. There is a distinctive feature of sharp triple bellcote on the East gable with an angled ringing chamber attached to the main body of the church beneath. A small quatrofoil opening on the South wall of the chancel allows communication to the ringers in the chamber.... Read more

Click here to find out more about the proposed development of St Luke's Church

St Michael and All Angels, Tidenham Chasechase porch s

In 1850 the school at Tidenham Chase was licensed for services as well and in 1888 the chapel of St. Michael, comprising nave and chancel in Gothic style, was built on the Chase. It was financed by the Revd. Fielding Palmer of Eastcliff who had officiated at the services in the schoolroom for several years previously.

St James', Lancaut

In 1833 a chapel dedicated to St. John was built at Beachley. It is a Gothic stone building, cruciform in plan, with a plainly furnished interior. The cost of the chapel was borne largely by James Jenkins, owner of Beachley manor, while there were also other subscribers and a grant from the Church Building Society. It was founded as a chapel of ease to the parish church, but it had a separate income from an endowment made by James Jenkins and from surplice fees and pew rents....Read more

Visit our new website