St James', Beachley, continued

It had its own burial ground and was licensed for marriages in 1839. In 1850 the chapel became a parish in its own right and was granted a perpetual curacy, although it was still up to the Vicar of Tidenham to nominate the curate until 1865 when this right passed to the Bishop of Gloucester. The income, to which had apparently been added tithe rent-charges given up by the Vicar of Tidenham, was only £50 in 1856. The cure was served from 1833 to c. 1853 by Charles Henry Morgan of Tidenham House. It then remained vacant for a year or more owing to difficulties in acquiring a house for the living. From 1855, having acquired a residence which stood to the north of the ferry pier, there were resident perpetual curates for the next fifty years. From 1905, however, the living was held by the Vicar of Tidenham and in 1932 the two parishes were united once more.  The curate's house was sold in 1920 and in 1969 became the Old Ferry Hotel.

Visit our new website